As a World Design Capital, designated cities have the opportunity to showcase accomplishments in design and urban policy and can expect to:
- gain visibility as a centre for creativity and innovation
- attract investment and creative people
- stimulate new partnerships
- strengthen knowledge-based economic development
- improve the quality of life in the city
- position the city as a leading center of design
- build global image as a must-see travel destination
- take part in an international network of design
- foster citizen pride in their city’s accomplishments
AN ENTIRE YEAR OF EVENTS
As part of the yearlong programme of events, designated WDC cities are mandated to host a calendar of various design-related events. Throughout the course of the year, the WDC Organising Committee (WDCOC) – the working group of the International Council of Societies of Industrial Design (Icsid), work in conjunction with local WDC Project Management teams, to develop project programming, support event planning, promote the WDC Calendar and ensure the integrity of the WDC Brand is maintained at all events.
Each event slated on the WDC Calendar of events will be developed, managed and implemented under the direction of the local WDC Project Management Team. In addition to the proposed events, Icsid will work collaboratively with local organisers to develop six WDC Signature Events.
How are WDC Signature Events differentfrom the other events in the WDC Calendar?
During the planning phase, local WDC Project Management teams should work in conjunction with government officials, stakeholders, partners and advisors to identify and/or develop events that will allow specific local objectives to be achieved.
In developing the overall calendar, a variety of events will ultimately be identified, each ranging in scope and size, and developed with specific objectives to address local, regional, national or international audiences, as well as public and/or private sectors.
Unlike other WDC events, where the local WDC Project Management team has complete autonomy to implement the events as deemed necessary, the WDC Signature Events are partnership events that are developed, organised, and implemented in close collaboration between Icsid and the local WDC Project Management Team.
Latest posts by Rouen Smit (see all)
- Cape Town’s MyCiTi system: 5 important changes – October 2, 2014
- Cape Town public transport extends to Table Mountain – August 13, 2014
- Cape Town Bus Rapid Transit system extends services to Khayelitsha – July 12, 2014
- How bus rapid transit routes will reach Khayelitsha and Mitchell’s Plain – June 10, 2014
- Fire detectors to prevent shack fires wins International Innovation Prize – June 9, 2014