In a presentation to the Public-Private Infrastructure Forum, Transnet Executive Manager of Group Planning, Phumelele Motsoahae, highlighted the concept for the expansion of Cape Town Harbour.
The forecasts for the size and capacity of the Port of Cape Town:
- 2011: 0,7m TEU
- 2018: 0,9m TEU
- 2042: 2,2m TEU
It is anticipated that the current capacity expansion projects will provide capacity until around 2026, after which capacity will be created through seaward expansion of the terminal. The second phase of the Cape Town expansion will provide landside capacity to match that developed at the
quayside, followed by the seaward expansion in the medium term. The current graphic makes no explicit area available for a Cruise liner terminal, but it is widely expected to be located at E-berth, the area closest to the Clocktower Precinct.
Feature image courtesy of warrenski at flickr.com
The foreshore area of Cape Town was underwater until the 1940s. In total, 194 hectares were reclaimed on the southern and south-eastern shore of Table Bay, facing the central city, Woodstock and Paardeneiland. Of the total, 65 hectares comprise Rogge Bay, the core of the development project being the portion between Van Riebeeck’s statue and the Duncan Dock.
The land was reclaimed from the sea by a Dutch firm, the Hollandse Aanneming Maatschappij. The contract was signed on December 9, 1937, and the work had to be completed by July 8, 1941, but owing to the war the date was extended to July 31, 1945. Before reclamation the shore-line skirted the grounds of the present railway station on the main line side, and the row of palm-trees which marked the waterfront at the time and is still standing has been preserved.
To the west, Hans Strijdom Avenue marks the farthest intrusion of the sea at the time of reclamation. That was approximately where Adderley Street ended and the promenade pier, built in 1913, began – today the starting-point of the Heerengracht, main thoroughfare to the Duncan Dock, being the northern extension of Adderley Street (which originally bore the name Heerengracht).
The material dredged up from between the two walls was removed by pipeline and deposited on the land side of the inner wall, thus reclaiming 140 hectares, the so-called ‘Foreshore’, for future development. The quay walls were built departmentally by the South African Railways and Harbours Administration and the entire project was completed by contract by May 1940.
On May 15, 1935, the Prime Minister at the time, General J B M Hertzog, officially started the dredging operations. With the darkening international situation the work was expedited, and before the outbreak of war the new basin was partly in use. It was named the Duncan Dock after the Governor General, Sir Patrick Duncan. The whole expanse of water in the basin was clear of projecting piers, but at the Woodstock end, next to the site of the proposed graying-dock, a small-boat harbour was built.
Latest posts by Rashiq Fataar (see all)
- Young Urbanists: Membership Form – February 23, 2015
- The Reading Centre – February 12, 2015
- Africa in 2015: The fastest, tallest, largest and newest – February 9, 2015
- FUTURE CAPE TOWN | The future of the Newlands pool: What is the real question? – January 26, 2015
- Design competitions in 2015: From Chicago to Dakar – January 12, 2015