The Soweto Theatre in Soweto, South Africa, has been shortlisted for a World Architecture Festival 2012 Award under the ‘Completed Building – Culture’ category.
The festival is the world’s largest competition dedicated to celebrating, and sharing architectural excellence from across the globe. This year’s festival takes place in Marina Bay Sands, Singapore. South Africa has done well at the World Architecture Festival since its started in 2008. In 2009, the Mapungubwe Interpretation Center by South African architects, Peter Rich Architects, won Building of the Year – the top prize of the Festival.
While at the World Architecture Festival in 2010, the FIFA 2010 masterpiece-stadium, Soccer City, won the Sport Category award for completed building.
For more images of buildings that were shortlisted, check out this slide show on The Telegraph’s website. For more information on the World Architecture Festival 2012 follow this link to their website.
Latest posts by Rouen Smit (see all)
- Cape Town’s MyCiTi system: 5 important changes – October 2, 2014
- Cape Town public transport extends to Table Mountain – August 13, 2014
- Cape Town Bus Rapid Transit system extends services to Khayelitsha – July 12, 2014
- How bus rapid transit routes will reach Khayelitsha and Mitchell’s Plain – June 10, 2014
- Fire detectors to prevent shack fires wins International Innovation Prize – June 9, 2014