Last month, we attended the opening of The Crystal – an urban sustainability centre run by Siemens in east London. The event lasted a few days (sustainable cities folks sure know how to celebrate) and included the Urban Planning for City Leaders conference. An e-book of the event was also produced which can be read online here.
During this event, numerous urbanism professionals shared their views on how to plan for sustainable cities, covering topics such as land value, citizen engagement and public transport.
Here’s eight short videos from the event:
Interview with Richard Rosan, President of Urban Land Institute
Why is capturing land value not more widely used as a way to finance infrastructure investments?
Interview with Pablo Vaggione, Lead author of the UN-Habitat Guide for city leaders
What is the ideal density for a city to be sustainable?
Interview with Mpho Franklyn Tau, Mayor of Johannesburg
How important is it to involve Johannesburg’s citizens in the city’s planning programmes?
Interview with Joan Cloas, Head of the UN-Habitat
What are the key elements for good urban planning in the 21st century?
Interview with Holger Dalkmann, CEO Embarq/WRI
How does urban planning influence our transportation patterns?
Interview with David Cadman, President ICLEI
How are climate issues linked to urban planning and sustainability?
Interview with Daniel Libeskind, Architect
How do you involve the local community when developing your architecture projects?
Interview with Abha Joshi-Ghani, Senior Manager World Bank
With scarce resources, what solutions are available to finance the infrastructure needs of cities?
Also read, “Mind the Gap” – A flash trip to London by Kali Taylor of Student Energy, and contributor at Future Cape Town.
Latest posts by Rashiq Fataar (see all)
- FUTURE CAPE TOWN | Film and city-making: An interview with Dele Adeyemo – April 28, 2015
- FUTURE CAPE TOWN | Voices of the city: Bonnie Horbach – April 10, 2015
- FUTURE GOLD COAST | In conversation: Rashiq Fataar and the founder of Future Gold Coast – April 8, 2015
- FUTURE CAPE TOWN | South Africa’s hopes of planning better cities and communities – March 30, 2015
- FUTURE CAPE TOWN | Why young urbanists made their own city plan for Helsinki – March 23, 2015