I can still remember sitting in the audience at The Assembly in Cape Town when the founder of Design Indaba, Ravi Naidoo, announced the Your Street Cape Town challenge with a lot of excitement from everyone. It was such a great idea, that Design Indaba’s inital prize money to realise a Your Street idea, was doubled, tripled and quadrupled within minutes after the announcement. Since then other cities have held Your Street Challenges in Gauteng, South Africa and Eindhoven in The Netherlands.
Other cities are also in the planning phases to hold their own Your Street Challenges, but until then Design Indaba has launched the Your Street Live Challenge, the largest in Africa. The prize money pool, to realise the ideas, has increased to a massive R1 million.
Not only is there a bigger pool of money available, but you will have the chance to pitch Your Street idea to a live audience and judges at the Design Indaba 2013 held in Cape Town.
It’s important to realise that the judges are not only looking for amazing conceptual ideas, they want these ideas to be implemented. The quicker and more effective for everyone on the street, the better. So if you would like to enter you idea, you have less than 2 weeks left when entries close on 28 January 2013.
For more information on the Your Street Live challenge, the rules, the limits and to help you make your idea better at being chosen, head to the official Your Street Challenge website.
Below are some random ideas from the Your Street Gauten challenge:
Latest posts by Rouen Smit (see all)
- Cape Town’s MyCiTi system: 5 important changes – October 2, 2014
- Cape Town public transport extends to Table Mountain – August 13, 2014
- Cape Town Bus Rapid Transit system extends services to Khayelitsha – July 12, 2014
- How bus rapid transit routes will reach Khayelitsha and Mitchell’s Plain – June 10, 2014
- Fire detectors to prevent shack fires wins International Innovation Prize – June 9, 2014