From 11-15 February, Future Cape Town partnered with the UCT School of Architecture, Planning and Geomatics to explore and share possible, and impossible re-imaginings of the Foreshore area within Cape Town.
The Vertical Studio Project is an annual workshop involving under- and post-graduate students fromthe school, tackling a different theme or focus area each year.
After an intensive week of design fun and team building, the 28 teams of students comprising students across all years of study presented an exhibition of posters and short films on Friday 15 February.
Rashiq Fataar, Director of Future Cape Town, said about the outcome of the project: “The collaboration with the UCT Vertical Studio on the future of the Foreshore area has allowed for the start of a conversation, through the re-imagination of the area. What is even more important is that these ideas move us closer towards the implementation of a bold new vision for the Foreshore, often lacking in Cape Town”.
The judges were Mokena Makeka of Makeka Design Lab, Sean Mahoney of studioMAS and Alayne Reesberg the CEO of Cape Town Design, who expressed their appreciation of the quality of the work and the event, and thought it epitomised the excitement building up to 2014, Cape Town’s year as World Design Capital.
And here are the winners:
- 1st place: Group 18, with The Foreshore [Re] Action, which links the highways with an urban park. According to the proposal, the “concrete jungle will be transformed into an organic, vibrant foreshore, where nature intertwines with concrete, that promotes the environmental sustainability initiatives of future Cape Town”
- 2nd place: Group 17 , with Re-imagining the Foreshore, which re-connects the city with the ocean by bringing water back into the Foreshore and integrating it into the life of the city.
- 3rd place (tied): Groups 29 and 30, with Cultural | Harbour and Stitching the foreshore and city together, respectively.
- Honorable mention: Group 8, with Humanity Reborn.
Notes to editors:
- Future Cape Town is a non-profit think tank advocating for progressive urbanism and the future of our cities.
- Images of the winning designs are available at http://www.flickr.com/photos/futurecapetown/sets/72157632839904394/
- Short films by each group are available at http://www.youtube.com/user/CollidingCultures
- Read about Colliding Cultures, Vertical Studio’s next project, here
- Read more about Vertical Studio 2013 here and find the 2013 Facebook page here
- Read about Vertical Studio 2012 here and Vertical Studio 2011 here
Media Office, Future Cape Town