This week we take a look at some of the works which emerged from the honours architecture studio entitled Flaneur, Space, Time run by Adam Lee Casey at the University of Cape Town last year. These inspiring and thought provoking works have been compiled into a book which is both graphically inspiring as well as thought provoking.
Follow the links for further information of each project as well as an online perusal of the book itself.
We asked each student contributor to sum up their project starting with the line ‘Imagine if Harrington Square…’ , accompanied by a graphic that best sums up their buildings, this is what they had to say :
Imagine if Harrington square was an Urban Park in future Cape Town. High- rise buildings would have multiplied and the city’s legibility would depend on open spaces- like that of the Castle and the Cultural Development Lab. These would be our new nodes, a sustainable place for cultural exchange, learning, sports and leisure.
Imagine if Harrington Square was designed using a fictional pretence that allowed for the creation of a culturally neutral site. Now imagine a building growing out from such a site using a mixture of weathering processes and futuristic three dimensional sand printing. Under these conditions The Memetic Lab would become the home and the generator of South African memes.
Latest posts by Robert Bowen (see all)
- Harrington Imaginings: Media School & Pedestrian Friendly Culture Hub – March 29, 2013
- Harrington Imaginings: Multi-use Spaces – March 28, 2013
- Harrington Imaginings: Youth Centre and Cultural Development Lab – March 27, 2013
- Harrington Imaginings: Sound Lab & Artistry Complex – March 26, 2013
- Harrington Imaginings: Urban Park & Meme generating Lab – March 25, 2013