Future Cape Town is happy to share that we are officially on the World Design Capital, Cape Town 2014 (WDC2014) programme. Not only has Future Cape Town as an organisation been officially recognised, but so has our Walking Tours and the Your City Idea installation.
Two years ago Cape Town was designated with the title World Design Capital 2014. Over the past 10 months; 1253 projects were submitted and 450 projects have now officially been recognised as part of the WDC2014 programme. The final projects have been organised into six categories to help navigate audiences, such as’Lifestyle Enhancers’ or ‘Education that Elevates’.
The Future Cape Town projects officially recognised include:
Year Round: Future Cape Town will aim to be a year round project using our existing platforms and work including the use of online media, social media, forums, tours, public forums, and exhibitions to promote awareness and dialogue about the design of our city.
Installation: The Your City Idea installation is a 2.5m high and 1.1m ballot box which gives citizens a voice on urban issues by allowing them to vote on urban ideas, designs and issues. It will travel to different parts of Cape Town, with the aim to introduce more installations.
Tours: Our Liveability Tours are planned and curated walking tours that put the spotlight on the urban development, liveability and sustainability of Cape Town.
Some of the other projects 450 officially recognised projects include Future Tyger, Design Indaba, MyCiTi and Cape Town’s Future Foreshore project, illustrating the opportunity for further collaboration.
According to Rashiq Fataar, Director of Future Cape Town: “We are proud to officially be on the WDC 2014 programme, and we echo the sentiments of the Cape Town Design NPC CEO Alayne Reeseberg, that Cape Town is and can be a laboratory of design, for issues faced around the world. Future Cape Town, along with recently launched Future Johannesburg, Future Lagos and Future London, will aim to support that, adding a global conversation and lens, not only to our projects but other projects transforming our city’s urban future for the better.”
On the 31 December the launch of the WDC2014 will take place, the New Year’s Eve of Design signature event, which will see Cape Town placed “on top of the world” for one night only.
Notes to Editors
1. Future Cape Town is a non-profit organisation creating platform for dialogue, awareness and action around the future of our cities. http://futurecapetown.com/about-us/
2. The 450 recognized projects are available to view online at www.wdccapetown2014.com
3. You can view photos of the Your City Idea installation here.
4. View information on our previous Liveability Walking Tour here
Media Office, Future Cape Town
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
+27 72 827 89 87
Latest posts by Emma Menteath (see all)
- Designing your own Long Street – November 7, 2013
- Future Cape Town officially on the WDC 2014 programme – November 4, 2013
- 10 housing projects changing communities around the world – November 4, 2013
- Cape Town’s 7 best buildings announced – October 16, 2013