The factory would manufacture Tesla Powerwall batteries, which can store sufficient electricity to power an entire home. They are charged by solar panels. South African-born Musk is building a $5-billion gigafactory in the Nevada desert, in the US, to produce Powerwalls. It will be one of the world’s biggest buildings.
Tesla Motors is already planning to open an office in South African in early 2016, aimed at providing its energy storage solutions to local consumers and businesses. Musk said in May that factories would be needed around the world.
He said the Powerwall was a “great solution for people in remote parts of the world where there’s no electricity” or where the supply is intermittent or expensive.
Latest posts by Rashiq Fataar (see all)
- Bellville’s greenest building : The City of Cape Town electricity headquarters – June 21, 2016
- Granger Bay site adjacent to Cape Town Stadium planned for mixed-use development – June 21, 2016
- New Pwc offices at the Silo Precinct near completion – February 29, 2016
- Voortrekker Road corridor, Athlone Power station and Conradie Hospital receive national investment priority – February 29, 2016
- City intersections to priorities pedestrians – February 29, 2016