The R700 million first phase of a new district at the V&A Waterfront is underway with a corporate head office for British American Tobacco South Africa (BAT South Africa) as the first project in this mixed-use area. Totalling 75 000 m² (or 7.6 hectares), the mixed-use Canal District straddles both sides of Dock Road. The V&A Waterfront’s acquisition of the Amway and Queen’s Hotel buildings in 2014 has a connection to Buitengracht Street. The District as a whole ties strongly into the arterial route that connects the city centre to the V&AWaterfront, and into the main pedestrian route that runs along Dock Road.
The first building in the District, Amsterdam House was designed by dhk architects. The new building is divided into two at the centre, with the multi-national BAT South Africa occupying 8 000 m² in the south wing.
Latest posts by Rashiq Fataar (see all)
- Bellville’s greenest building : The City of Cape Town electricity headquarters – June 21, 2016
- Granger Bay site adjacent to Cape Town Stadium planned for mixed-use development – June 21, 2016
- New Pwc offices at the Silo Precinct near completion – February 29, 2016
- Voortrekker Road corridor, Athlone Power station and Conradie Hospital receive national investment priority – February 29, 2016
- City intersections to priorities pedestrians – February 29, 2016