NINEONS, the first development for Blok 2016, has launched. The 23-apartment development is nestled between Somerset and High Level Roads in Green Point, and features a shared entertainment deck and rooftop pool with panoramic views of Cape Town.
The building, is angled at 45 degrees, thus ensuring that the North and West sun’s rays equally benefit all apartments to maximise light and warmth for all residents. The building’s vertical fins (a prominent design feature) offer privacy to each unit and a strong architectural aesthetic.
According the Blok, NINEONS posed a beautiful creative challenge for the architectural team, WAUW, when designing the building; as they needed to take advantage of the amazing views and sunsets for all future residents but also had to maximise privacy from the High Level Road side considering the liberal use of glass throughout the apartments.
The subsequent composition has left a strong vertical aesthetic, resulting in a building that changes shape and character as you move around it. One side can look muted and calm (the High Level Road side), while the view from lower down Scholtz Road is far more open and vibrant.
Sources : BLOK
Latest posts by Hannalie Malan (see all)
- Watch: (Re)Shaping Colombia: The role of architecture, urbanism and design| FUTURE CAPE TOWN – June 28, 2016
- WATCH – King’s Cross: an urban transformation in London focused on people | FUTURE CAPE TOWN – June 17, 2016
- Design by activism: How we can use our public spaces to create change | FUTURE CAPE TOWN – June 15, 2016
- Data facility to boost Cape Town economy – June 9, 2016
- Construction planned to alleviate traffic jams – June 9, 2016