Conradie Mixed-Income Housing Development


September 2016 Update:

The Conradie Development is being framed as a Better Living Model exemplar. The Better Living Model is one of seven Western Cape Government “Game Changer” or priority projects, designed specifically to leverage best opportunities and address greatest challenges. These Game Changers are ultimately catalysts to significantly improve people’s lives by accelerating growth, job creation and social inclusion. The Better Living Model seeks specifically to redress apartheid spatial planning legacies and establish key, replicable levers to unlock other well located state properties.

The project will have housing for a wide range of income earners, with approximately 3,600 housing opportunities catering to people who earn between R3,500 and R21,000 per month.

However concern has been raised by GroundUp that the purported “affordable housing” is by South African standards not affordable; stating that “in Cape Government documents it is envisaged that less than 10% of the houses to be built will be for households with incomes below R3,500 per month. Yet more than 60% of households in the country earn less than that according to WaziMap.

Construction on-site is set to commence in 2018 with resident taking occupancy from 2020.




An artist’s impression of the multibillion-rand mixed-income housing development between Pinelands and Thornton.

In February 2016, Premier Hellen Zille revived the mixed-use neighbourhood plans on the former Conradie Hospital site. The multi-million rand plan will develop over 3,000 mixed income residential unites with additional business premises, schools, and safe, green public spaces. Situated between Pinelands and Thornton, the proposed plans on 22 hectare will be developed by the Western Cape Government, the City of Cape Town, and private sector partners along with proposed public participation. Construction is planned to start in early 2018 with implementation of Green technology for energy, water, and waste management. 49% of the residential development will be allocated to grant-funded housing, which will consist of social housing, FLISP (Finance Linked Individual Subsidy Programme) housing and rent-to-buy housing units. The remaining 51% of the residential units will be made available to the open market.

See more Cape Town Development Updates here

Sources :

  1. Pinelands set for mega residential development
  2. Most people can’t afford “affordable” housing
  3. The Western Cape Government | IOL | BDLive

Photo credit:

  1. IOL