Become a member : Sign up here.
Young Urbanists is a community for the next generation of urbanists, initiated by Future Cape Town. Young Urbanists are young people in their 20’s and 30’s, who have a willingness to engage with and support others in the community, share knowledge and will have an interest and passion in some of the diverse fields related to urbanism.
Throughout the year, events including field trips to sites, buildings and spaces, film nights, socials, informal lunches and dinners, job and networking opportunities are organised by members to expand connection and the potential to work together.
- YU Meet & Greet and Film Screening / Thursday, 2 May 2019 at 17:30
- Young Urbanists 2019 Opening & Movie Night / Tuesday, 26 February 2019 at 17:30
- Young Urbanists Bring and Share Night / Wednesday, 28 November 2018 at 17:30
- Masterclass : The Uses & Abuses of Heritage / Tuesday, 25 September 2018 at 17:30
- Young Urbanists : Langa – Neighbourhood… / Tuesday, 18 September 2018 at 17:30
- Young Urbanists : Delft – Neighbourhood… / Wednesday, 5 September 2018 at 17:30
- Young Urbanists : Mitchells Plain /Monday, 27 August 2018 at 17:30
- City Hall : Site Visit Friday, 17 August 2018 at 18:00
- Young Urbanists : District Six / Tuesday, 14 August 2018 at 17:30
- Young Urbanists: In conversation with Pe… / Tuesday, 24 July 2018 at 18:00
- Urbanist Film Night / Thursday, 21 June 2018 at 18:00
- Urbanists Film Night / Monday, 28 May 2018 at 18:00
- Urbanists Film Night / Thursday, 12 April 2018 at 18:00
- Blue Downs Integration Corridor / Wednesday, 4 April 2018 at 18:00
- Young Urbanists: City Owned Companies / Monday, 5 March 2018 at 18:00
- Drinks and dinner with ETH Zurich students / Wednesday, 7 February 2018 at 18:30
- Drinks with Brett Heron | Discussing aff… / Wednesday, 22 November 2017 at 17:30
- Talking Streets l Main Road, Woodstock / Tuesday, 14 November 2017 at 17:00
- Drinks with Peter Ahmad l Discussing t… / Thursday, 26 October 2017 at 17:30
- Urbanists Film Night / Tuesday, 26 September 2017 at 17:30
- Young Urbanists l MSDF Review / Monday, 21 August 2017 at 18:00
- Explained: Planning for Non-Planners / Thursday, 8 June 2017 at 17:30
- Young Urbanists : Explained  The Mach… / Tuesday, 11 April 2017 at 17:30
- Young Urbanists First Tuesdays Social / Tuesday, 7 February 2017 at 17:30
2019 Steering Committee
A call for applications was launched in 2019 and we are proud to announce the new steering committee.
- Ninsiima Twekye: Coordinator of Social Media
- Timothy Blatch: Coordinator of Sponsorships and Partnerships
- Mari Botha: Coordinator of Membership and Diversity
- Adrian Lotter: Minister of Finance
- Ali Pulker: Coordinator of Events and Urban Interventions
- Jens Horber: Coordinator of Public Comment
- Emma Duncan-Brown: Coordinator of Website, Resources and Marketing
Janine Loubser, Sean Cooke, Sean Dayton and Rebecca Cameron will remain as Programme Coordinators.
2019 Urban Intervention Project : Tafelsig Cultural Node
The so-called ‘Tafelsig Cultural Node’ is situated at the intersection of AZ Berman Drive and Kilimanjaro Street. It is located in the heart of Tafelsig, with a community centre (The Mitchells Plain Family & Youth Centre), a D04 line MyCiti bus stop and various other community spaces (church, library, clinic, at least four schools, etc.) in the vicinity.
During the workshop of 2018, Mr. Bell as a member of the Tafelsig community, identified a need for a number of small-scale initiatives to improve the Tafelsig area and address some of the current challenges. The idea is to enlist the community and a variety of partners in the beautification, re-vitalization and building of a creative hub in and around the Tafelsig Cultural Node.
Become a member : Sign up here.
- Follow the community on Instagram : www.instagram.com/young_urbanists
- Share your thoughts and ideas on Twitter : www.twitter.com/young_urbanists
- Facebook group : www.facebook.com/groups/youngurbanists
A selection of images from past events :